CANNON COUNTY ELECTION COMMISSION ELECTION DAY AND EARLY VOTING MEDIA POLICY, RECORDING POLICY, MOBILE PHONE, PHOTOGRAPH POLICY
The Cannon County Election Commission’s Election Day and Early Voting Policy concerning the photographing, and/or recording by video camera, mobile phone, and/or any other device of a voter or voters by the media and any other persons inside the one hundred foot (100’) boundary of a polling place during Early Voting or Election Day at any precinct/location is as follow:
Any person proper press credentials wishing to record the voting process, interview voters and/or interact with voters within the one hundred foot (100’) boundary shall be permitted to do so under the following guidelines:
1. Upon arrival at the Early Voting site or Election Day polling place they shall immediately notify the Administrator of Elections or the Officer of Elections at the site of their intentions.
2. The Election Commission representative shall make the voters aware that they have the right to “opt-out” of being photographed, videoed, interviewed or in any other way included in any activity the person undertakes.
3. If any voter objects/wishes to “opt-out” the process shall be delayed until the voter or voters has/have completed their voting.
THESE ACTIVITES ARE STRICTLY PROHIBITED AT ALL EARLY VOTING SITES AND ELECTION DAY POLLING PLACES:
1. In all cases to photograph, video or by any other method record a voter’s actual ballot whether on a voting machine or a paper ballot.
2. To photograph, video or by any other method record the voter’s application to vote, the computer-generated applications and/or the rosters during Early Voting and on Election Day, all which contain a voter’s personal information. It is also prohibited to record any computer screen images which may contain voter information.
3. To photograph or video or by any other method to record a voter or voters who receive assistance voting.
4. To be within hearing distance of a voter receiving assistance when it is necessary that their ballot be read aloud.
In all events the security and privacy of the voter and the security and privacy of their votes are the overriding concern of the Cannon County Election Commission.
This policy does not apply to election workers using cell phones in the performance of their official duties.
The policies of the Cannon County Election Commission comply with state law and may be altered with no notice to comply with any change (s) in state law.